Thursday, January 11, 2018

Literature and My Boy

People who don't believe in magic or miracles don't engulf themselves in literature. I love the power a book has over me. I love the escape it provides and how it's the only activity I can participate in sans children and not feel one ounce of guilt (because I'm enriching my mind...and I'm only one "MOOOOOOM" away from snapping back to reality). In fact, the only guilt I have over reading books is that I still haven't gotten around to reading ALL of the books.

I've long recognized the positive benefits of reading, and I've made an entire career out of sharing those benefits with budding scholars. However, what I haven't fully realized, until now, are the benefits of literature on my own child, and seeing him get excited over "what's going to happen next" has brought me great joy.

I've chosen to write on this topic in my blog instead of a Facebook status because that way anyone who wants to read it can with a simple click, and anyone who doesn't won't feel forced to read my Facebook status and go "Oh Gag." The truth is, I'm kind of bragging here, and not everybody likes braggy parents. I, for one, have found myself rolling my eyes!

But I have to record this time in mine and Jude's life because I don't ever want to forget it, so for those who are taking the time to read my words, thank you.

This past Christmas, we bought Jude a set of E.B. White books. I remember reading Stuart Little and Charlotte's Web when I was younger, and I had always envisioned sharing those stories with my own children. When Jude opened his gift from me and Jeffrey, he was more excited about the sports themed pajamas included in the bag than the books. I expected as much, too.

The truth is, we haven't had the easiest time in First Grade. I say "we" because I haven't particularly enjoyed watching Jude struggle with his handwriting or Math. I also haven't enjoyed seeing notes come home about his behavior (mostly things like talking-- and there was also that time he actually called another kid annoying one day--and the worst part: he gets that brutal honesty from me!). This year, I've watched my little boy go from being excited about absolutely everything to saying things like, "I'll just read that tomorrow" or "Can't I just go somewhere else" when tasked with homework and writing practice.

 That's not to say he hates school. He does love his teachers, and he loves his friends (I mean, obviously he's talking to somebody what with the notes coming home!) However, the enthusiasm for school and learning has somewhat lessened this year, and I suppose it was bound to happen at some point.

What Jude doesn't realize, however, is that he's actually a pretty good reader. I tell him he is, but it's like he doesn't want to believe that about himself. However, I catch him reading to himself all the time: billboards, Frank's baby books, directions to Legos, games, and other toys. He knows what he's doing, but for some reason, he never wants to read when I prompt him.


Back to the E.B. White books. Over the holidays, I kept trying to encourage Jude to sit down and read one of the books with me. He would pause and finally say, "Maybe tomorrow." Finally, one night before bed, I said, "Let's just look at one chapter from one book, any book you want," and Jude decided that was fair enough. He picked the longest of the books, The Trumpet of the Swan, and told me he wanted me to read aloud to him. Fine. Whatever gets him into the story.

The first few nights, I wasn't even sure he paid much attention  since the book has very few pictures. Then, he left for a few days to visit grandparents. I figured we'd just give up on the books altogether and tackle them when he got a little older. I had to keep reminding myself that he is only six years old. Do six-year-olds even like swans?

A few nights ago, however, Jude came in the den where I was, holding The Trumpet of the Swan, and asked if we could still read it. I was exhausted after a long day of work and getting supper together and taking care of children, but I mustered up every ounce of energy I had left and read another chapter of that book. Then, Jude begged for another chapter, and so I read. He would stop me occasionally to ask questions about what different words meant or laugh about something that had happened to poor old Louis, the "dumb" swan. (Because as Jude pointed out, "dumb" isn't a bad word in this case. The swan is plenty smart; he just can't speak.)

When we got to the chapter where Louis falls in love, Jude couldn't wait for me to read it. He reminded me several times earlier that day, "Tonight, we're reading the LUUUVVV chapter!" I guess Jude was particularly interested in this part of the story since he himself has his sights set on a little girl from his class this year. He claims they are in love, but like Louis and his beloved Serena, I think only Jude knows about it.

While Jude is not reading this book independently, he is paying attention. I don't know if he's becoming a "better reader," but he's becoming a better person. That intense enthusiasm for learning about the world around him has returned. He is sitting at my side each night listening to a story about a swan who has so much talent and intelligence but struggles with simple things others take for granted. Jude's sense of empathy is also developing. Just this morning, Jeffrey and I were talking about a former student, and Jude piped up with "That's kind of like Louis."

I don't know where this nightly reading is taking Jude, but I love the direction it is steering him. It is through reading where Jude will find out who he is and how he fits in with the rest of the world, and it is through reading where he'll learn to question why we've raised him with certain values and he'll either take ownership of those values himself or find a few of his own. Finally, it is also through reading where he will figure out what he can do to make the world better for himself and for others.

He may not be ready to read The Trumpet of the Swan or other classic novels by himself, but in the meantime, I'm sure happy to be along for the ride!


No comments: